Sunday, December 1, 2013

Day 1 of Advent...Thankful for What This Season is All About

Hard to believe that it is Dec. 1! As a child I never knew anything about Advent, which is odd considering I grew up in church, perhaps I did but do not remember.  Last year I started a new advent calendar with the kids called Truth in the Tinsel.  It was a daily devotional along with a craft to make an ornament each day that represented what we read in the Bible. It is pretty awesome and a little time consuming.  This year, we are focusing on acting on what we are reading.  I have never been a fan of the elf on the shelf thing; 1. he's creepy 2. I don't like the idea of lying to my kids that an "elf" is watching them and their behavior determines if they get presents or not and 3. it goes against everything that Christmas is about.  Those of you who do the elf on the shelf, please don't take offense to this, it is just my husband and I's thoughts about it.  Instead, we are going to have a kindness angel who will be in a different spot throughout December with a note attached that will have an act of kindness for that day/week that we as a family will do.  I am using an angel ornament from m our tree and of course will tell our kids, it's not suppose to be real, and that mommy and daddy will be hiding the angel.  We truly, truly want our kids to understand what Christmas is about, loving others, sharing Christ's love, and continuing this every day, not just at Christmas time.  I am thankful for the start of Advent, thankful that we started it off with our church family singing songs, laughing, praying, and just being together.  I am thankful for another day of family time.  God is good!
Isaiah 9:2-7 - People who have walked in darkness will see the great light - increased it's joy vs. 6- For unto us a child is born....Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father

No comments:

Post a Comment